Click here to view the Windows Dedicated/VPS Cookbook
Like many culinary cookbooks you'll probably find at home or at your
local bookstore, this cookbook is meant to serve as a guide, not
necessarily as a strict instruction manual. Although we'll show you
exactly what you need to know to quickly set up a website, site
analytics, and mail services on your dedicated/virtual private server,
there are a multitude of methodologies you can employ to achieve the
desired outcome. Point being, you can feel free to add your own spices
to enhance the recipe – we’re simply providing the foundation. As our
very first edition of the Windows Dedicated/VPS Cookbook, we hope to
continue to build on this effort.
In upcoming editions,
we plan to expand this guide to not only cover basic web server setup,
but also a complete library of how-to's and server management advice so
that you’ll have the best possible experience with your server.
If you're an experienced IT professional with tons of hands-on
experience working with the Windows web platform, this guide will most
likely not provide you with anything you don't already know. However,
for users that may have limited experience working with the Windows
2008/IIS7 platform, this guide will help you get a website up and
running as quickly as possible.
Before you get started, be sure you have the following items ready.
1. The email that you received after your server purchase, titled
“Dedicated Server Built.” This will include your server's IP addresses.
2. Your SmarterBundle email from SmarterTools. This email will provide
you with the current download locations and license keys for
SmarterStats and SmarterMail (as well as SmarterTrack).
3. Your domain registration information. If you intend to use a domain
name with your website, you will need to contact your domain registrar
soon after configuring your DNS in order to point your domain to your
This edition of the Windows Dedicated/VPS Cookbook will cover the following items:
- How to set up your site in IIS7
- How to configure your DNS to ensure that your domain resolves to your website
- How to create an FTP user in FileZilla, enabling you to upload files to your site with an FTP client
- How to create Firewall rules so that multiple users can access your FTP and email server
- How to test your FTP account
- How to install and configure SmarterStats to run as an IIS website
- How to install and configure SmarterMail to run as an IIS website
When you're all done
Don't forget to check out our Additional Resources page in the cookbook
for some helpful links about IIS, Windows 2008, and SmarterTools
products. Also, be sure to visit the survey on the Feedback page so
that we can continually improve this project.
If you have questions, feedback, or concerns, please feel free to
contact us at email@example.com, or at
1.877.323.4678 (Arizona or International residents can call
602.263.0300), option 4.
See it now >> http://media.newtektechnologyservices.com/windowscookbook/