This article will show you how to create a SQL maintenance plan to backup all the MSSQL database(s) on your dedicated server.
the creation of a SQL maintenance plan, your databases will be backed
up daily. Since programs like NTBackup and CommVault do not backup
running databases, you will thus be assured of always having backups.
Follow these steps to create a SQL backup plan for MSSQL 2000:
From your dedicated server, open up SQL Server Enterprise Manager
(Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server -> Enterprise
2. Login with Windows authentication.
3. Expand the Local Windows database server and double click on 'Management.'
4. Verify that the SQL Server Agent is turned on (right click on SQL Server Agent and click on Start).
5. Right click on Database Maintenance Plans and click 'New Maintenance Plan...'
6. Choose the All databases radio button
7. Click next on 'Update Data Optimization Information' and 'Database Integrity Check.'
Specify the Database Backup Plan
Make sure the 'Back up the database as part of the maintenance plan'
and 'Verify the integrity…' box are checked. Leave the radio button
marked on Disk.
9. Click on the 'Change…' that is at the bottom right.
Under occurs, choose Daily, under Daily leave it at 1 day(s), under
Daily Frequency choose Occurs once at 10PM (can be changed to what you
want), leave the Duration at No end date. Click OK and click Next.
Specify Backup Disk Directory
Choose the location of where you want your databases backed up to (make
sure to create a folder) or you can 'Use the default backup directory'.
Mark the 'Remove files older than:' and set it to 1 Week(s). Leave the
backup file extension as BAK.
12. Click next on
'Specify the Transaction Log Backup Plan', 'Reports to Generate',
'Maintenance Plan History', change the Plan name to DB backups and
click on Finish.
This will create a SQL Maintenance plan to backup your MSSQL 2000 database(s).